Join us on Facebook

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Overcame My Fear

Since the day I began high school, I have been waiting to enter college. I always wanted that college adult freedom you do not get in high school and below. When last year started and began ending, I freaked. I was afraid with the thought of going somewhere I would only know possibly three people. No way was I going there.

My first day at Gwinnett Tech was last Wednesday; I was scared and excited all at once. I walked into the student lounge as though I was no freshman, I have been there before. I got comfortable watching other college students play video games or watch a movie; I was people watching , if you will. Later, after I had got some food from the cafe', I was going to sit back where I was in the lounge but there was someone in my seat. I decided to gulp down my fears and walk up to her to ask if I could sit on the other side of her. We began talking, her name was Olivia. We had things in common and things not so much in common. She was not new to this whole college thing so I asked her questions and found out I needed a photo ID. We went to wait in the bookstore line and we stoke up a conversation with two other people.

My first day went amazingly. If I had not had the courage to walk up to Olivia, I would have never met other people and I would not have friendship with her. So seriously, walk up to someone who looks nice or just seems like you two would get along. You may learn some things from them and make a new friend that you will need for college.

My math class that day went great; I talked to a few people in there and learned of new comers like me and others who have been in college. I met Jessica in my Computer 1000 class and we joke and help each other in class. Now everything about college is amazing. You even have the independence I know you want.

A tip though: Do not take so many classes, my new friend Harry is taking 5 and it is over whelming for him. I only take 2 classes and I know everything in them already so that is a plus. At my college, you go to class but all your homework and test are pretty much online. You are able to see what you got wrong and have up to three times to get it right. College does not want you to fail, every teacher is there to help you pass. Not like high school, where they are mostly just there to get paid; not all teachers are that way. I have had some who genuinely care about your future. All I am saying is: make it through high school and you will do great in college.

-SourBurglar

No comments:

Post a Comment